Why did I choose Manual Osteopathy as an adjunct profession?
Classical Osteopathy, or Manual Osteopathy is a very gentle non invasive, hands-on form of manual therapy that focuses on supporting the bodies self healing mechanisms to restore optimal health – seeking to address physical structure and resolve underlying tissue imbalances, not only treat symptoms of dis-ease. Manual Osteopathy does not involve pharmaceutical medications or surgery but instead focuses on removing restrictions to physical structure to assist the bodies self regulation abilities within set homeostatic principles. A manual osteopath is not a medical doctor and does not diagnose.
“To find health should be the object of the doctor. Anyone can find disease.” – Andrew Taylor Still MD, DO. Osteopathy Research and Practice
In my personal 20 year quest to comprehend practices (both ancient and modern) that enhance the highest possible expression of health and wellness; the discovery of the philosophy of Osteopathy and how its classical manual techniques can enhance wellbeing – is in alignment with my pursuit.
One of the ways Manual osteopathy can assist with homeostasis is to address the body’s structure, gently impacting the function of any underlying anatomical routes responsible for transporting nourishment to the body’s cells.
Gentle repetitive movements are used to stimulate all tissue in a localised area including the fascia, ligaments, joints, tendons, bones as well as stimulate underlying tissues to remove congestion, stagnation, improve blood flow and ensure unimpeded flow of fluids and nerve impulses.
Manual osteopathy may help address issues related to:
- Realignment of the physical body structure to support optimal function
- Enhancing mobility of joints, tendons and ligaments
- Strengthening the structure of your body
- Spinal alignment issues, including those due to poor posture
- Reducing scar tissue or adhesions from accidents, injury or trauma
- Restoring range of motion in the joints, aids in releasing muscle tension and spasms
- Provides gentle corrections to bones, ligaments, tendons, influencing subtle internal structures- promoting proper alignment and full mobility of tissues and flow of fluids beneath.
- Sports related injury
- Prevention of injuries or re injury
- Techniques directed to reinforcing and maintaining of vitality and quality of life
While an Osteopathic wellness program is never a one program fits all scenario; manual osteopathic therapy seeks to treat the individual, thus treatment is also tailored to the individual.
Manual osteopathic therapy is the perfect adjunct to the internal use of Phytotherapy or herbal medicine or vice versa, allowing options for client centered health care which offers support both internally and somatically (via gentle hands on treatment).